My Insurance Company is Delaying Payment. What can I do?

In Florida, you can contact the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation (OIR) for assistance with insurance-related issues. The OIR is a state government agency that regulates insurance companies and handles consumer complaints about insurance.

You can reach the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation by phone at (850) 413-3140 or toll-free at 1-877-693-5236. You can also visit their website at file a complaint online or find additional information about insurance-related topics.

When you contact the OIR, be sure to provide them with all relevant information about your insurance claim, including your policy number, the name of your insurance company, and the details of the claim. The OIR will review your complaint and work with you and the insurance company to resolve the issue.

I hope this information helps, and please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

When should I seek legal representation?

You may want to consider hiring a lawyer or seeking legal representation when you are involved in a complex or contentious insurance claim. A lawyer can provide legal advice and represent you in negotiations with the insurance company or in court, if necessary.

Here are some situations where you might want to consider hiring a lawyer or seeking legal representation:

It's important to note that lawyers typically charge hourly rates or contingency fees (a percentage of any settlement or award), and the cost can add up quickly. Before hiring a lawyer, make sure you understand their fees and what services they will provide. Additionally, be sure to choose a reputable and experienced lawyer who has experience handling insurance claims similar to yours.